14 February, 2021
Posted in : Breads, Breakfast on by : asclavijo
Servings: 30 Beignets
- 1 pkg Active Dry Yeast
- 3 Tbsp Warm water 85 degrees
- 3/4 c Milk
- 1/4 c Sugar
- 1/4 c Shortening
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Egg beaten
- 3 c Flour approx
- Vegetable oil
- Powdered Sugar
Mix the dough & 1st rise
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl, stirring well; Let stand 5 minutes.
- Scald milk; stir in sugar, shortening, and salt.
- Cool mixture to lukewarm temperature.
- Add milk mixture, egg, and 2c flour to yeast mixture; mix well.
- Stir enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface. Knead about 8-10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place in a well greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in warm place for about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll dough into a 12"x10" rectangle.
- Cut 2" squares.
- Place on a floured surface and cover.
- Let rise in warm place 30 minutes or until doubled.
Time to cook
- Heat 3"-4" of oil to 375 degrees; drop in 3-4 beignets at a time.
- Cook about 1 minute on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Serving: 1Beignet | Calories: 113kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 83mg | Potassium: 26mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 18IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 1mg