27 August, 2023
Detroit Style Pizza
Posted in : Main Dish, Miscellaneous on by : asclavijo Tags: Dinner, Homemade, Pizza
Detroit Style Pizza
Servings: 16 Servings
- 1¾ c. 85˚F water
- ½ c. semolina flour
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. instant dry yeast
- 3½ c. bread or bakers flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dry oregano
- 24 oz. shredded cheese blend preferably a 50/50 blend of brick cheese and low-moisture mozzarella
- 1 red onion
- 2 roma tomatoes
- Add water, semolina flour, sugar and yeast to the mixing bowl. Mix and let sit for about 15 minutes. Add the bread/bakers flour and salt to the mixing bowl. Mix all ingredients on the lowest speed for one minute. Scrape down the sides of bowl with a plastic dough scraper/divider. Mix on low/medium speed for three minutes. Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and divide in two. Each dough ball should weigh 17.5 to 18 ounces. Coat the dough balls with oil and refrigerate, covered, for 24 hours. (Doing this provides more flavor and better texture. If you prefer, you can use the fresh dough right away.) Place the dough in a pan and press out with 8 to 10 presses. Let it rest in the pan, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes. Fully press out in the pan all the way to edges and corners. Let the dough sit covered at room temperature for 1½ to 2½ hours. Ideally, you want it to rise about a third of the way up the pan. Once the dough has risen, you’re ready to make pizza! Yields 2 large 10”-by-14” pizzas.
- Sprinkle dry oregano directly on the dough. Spread 12 oz. of cheese, making sure cheese is placed evenly across the pan, edge to edge. Slice the tomatoes and place on the cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 450˚F. Once preheated, place the pizzas in the oven for approximately 15 minutes, resulting in browning on top and a golden brown bottom. Remove the pizza from the oven and place on a cutting board. Slice into 8 pieces.
Make the dough ahead of time & enjoy a deeper flavor (Refrigerate 36 hours)
Serving: 1g | Calories: 375kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 499mg | Potassium: 140mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 351IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 297mg | Iron: 1mg