27 February, 2017
Betty’s Best Whole Wheat Bread
Posted in : Breads on by : asclavijo
Betty's Best Whole Wheat Bread
Makes 2 loaves
Servings: 20 Servings
- 4 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 3/4 cup white flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 4 tsp salt
- 2 pkg yeast
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup crisco
- Combine flours. In separate large bowl, thoroughly mix 2 1/2 cups flour mixture, sugar, salt, and dry yeast.
- Combine water, milk, honey & Crisco in a pan. Heat over low heat until warm (105° - 115°) - Crisco need not melt.
- Gradually add wet ingredients to dry ingredients & beat for 2 minutes, scraping bowl. Add 1/2 flour mixture. Beat at high speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl. Stir in enough flour to make a soft dough. If necessary, add white flour to obtain desired dough. Knead until smooth & elastic on floured surface (8-10 minutes) Place in greased bowl & grease top of bread. Cover & let rise in warm place until doubled (about 1 hour)
- Place in greased bowl & grease top of bread. Cover & let rise in warm place until doubled (about 1 hour).
- Punch dough down, and knead on lightly floured surface for about 2 minutes. Divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in 2 greased loaf pans. Cover & let rise until doubled (about 1 hour).
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until done. Remove & cool on wire rack.
Calories: 217kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 472mg | Potassium: 138mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 17IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 2mg