27 February, 2017
Posted in : Breakfast, Eggs, Main Dish on by : asclavijo
Servings: 8 servings
- 12 slices ham chopped
- 1 cup swiss cheese shredded, mozzarella and provolone work well too
- 1/3 cup onion minced
- 4 eggs
- 2 cup buttermilk original recipe calls for half & half - this is a reduced fat version!
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 tsp onion salt
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1/8 tsp basil
- Sprinkle bacon/ham, cheese and onion in pastry lined pan. In mixing bowl, beat eggs slightly; add remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour egg mixture into pie pan.
- In medium bowl, mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening, using pastry blender until particles are size of small peas. Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons more water can be added if necessary).
- Gather pastry into a ball. Shape into flattened round on lightly floured surface. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate about 45 minutes or until dough is firm and cold, yet pliable. This allows the shortening to become slightly firm, which helps make the baked pastry more flaky. If refrigerated longer, let pastry soften slightly before rolling.
- With floured rolling pin, roll pastry into round 2 inches larger than upside-down 9-inch quiche dish or glass pie plate. Fold pastry into fourths; place in quiche dish. Unfold and ease into dish, pressing firmly against bottom and side. Trim overhanging edge of pastry 1 inch from rim of pie plate. Fold and roll pastry under, even with plate; flute as desired.
- Bake 15-20 minutes at 425°. Reduce heat to 300° and bake 30 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes
Spinach Quiche: Substitute 1 box (9 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to drain, for the ham. Sprinkle over onion and cheese.
Calories: 418kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 127mg | Sodium: 984mg | Potassium: 275mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 343IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 196mg | Iron: 2mg